Many an exciting event has occurred on October 7. Things like...
- 1777 – American Revolutionary War: The Americans defeat the British in the Second Battle of Saratoga, also known as the Battle of Bemis Heights.
- 1849 – Edgar Allan Poe, American writer and poet (b. 1809), dies.
- 1952 – The bar code is patented.
- 1955 – Yo-Yo Ma, French-born American cellist, is born.
- 1982 – Cats opens on Broadway and runs for nearly 18 years before closing on September 10, 2000.
And that's just a few of the history-making occurrences. But they all pale in comparison to what happened a year ago on October 7.
Because on October 7, 2008, I, Lucy Ricardo, peed on a stick!
And it was......
That's right, folks, it has been a year since we found out we were going to have a little Ricardo. Despite being a whirlwind year full of changes, I still remember that evening in perfect detail.
How I hadn't felt well for a few days, so Ricky brought home a pregnancy test.
How I knew it would be negative, but before I even had time to wash my hands the word PREGNANT popped up clear as can be.
How I looked at myself in the bathroom mirror and started to hysterically laugh/cry in a way that I have not been able to replicate since no matter how often I try to show it to people.
How despite having a romantic scenario all planned out in my head on how I would tell Ricky we were having a baby should it ever I happen for us, I instead floated/stumbled out of the bathroom, thrust the pregnancy test at Ricky and laughed/sobbed/gasped "You have to look at this."
How we grabbed each other and hugged and laughed and cried.
How we stared at each other in disbelief.
How I sent Ricky out in the rain to get a baby name book and What to Expect.
How I knew our lives were about to change, but I had no idea how much.
Yes, I remember all of that as if it just happened last night.
And yes, our lives have completely changed.
And I couldn't be happier.
Historical information pulled from that fount of information, Wikipedia.